The counseling center is available for walk-in crises between the hours of 8:30-3:30 Monday – Friday. We are in the lower level of the library, Lowry Hall, with fast access from the back door just off the parking lot behind the building. The walk-in crisis service should NOT be used in place of regular ongoing counseling sessions, but is available for concerns such as:
- Current or recent thoughts of harm to self or others
- Concern about the safety of another person
- Experience of a recent traumatic event
- Experiencing hallucinations, delusions, disorganized thinking and/or behavior, or have been unable to sleep for two or more days.
We understand crises are not scheduled but encourage you to come in as early in the day as possible. The earlier you arrive, the better we can assess the nature of your crisis and then address your concerns.
If you are experiencing a mental health emergency after hours, please see the resource list below. Please be aware that individual staff email addresses, the general counseling center email address and the counseling center main phone number are monitored during regular business hours and should NOT be used in the event of a mental health emergency.
IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, CALL 911.
On-campus, contact Campus Safety at 404-504-1998 when it’s safe to do so.
Virtual Care – Telehealth is available 24/7 and offers free, unlimited access to doctors, therapists, and on-demand crisis counseling.
NOTE: To register with Virtual Care, please make sure to include the Oglethorpe University zip code (30319), NOT your home zip code.
Mental Health Crisis Hotlines:
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 988
- Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741-741
- Georgia Crisis & Access Line: 1-800-715-4225
- Trevor Lifeline for LGBTQ students: 1-866-488-7386